According to some researches, iPhones are lost and stolen somehow every day. Your iPhone holds a lot of important data, which could be too priceless to replace, so, losing it can be an extreme nightmare. Luckily, there are several built-in robust tools for the iOS system that will help to keep your data safe and track down a missed iPhone at ease.
Today’s post covers a few ways to find your lost iPhone or iPad, including the guides that you should follow in advance for security purposes.
1. Before Losing Your iPhone
To prevent an iPhone from being snatched by a thief, Apple has already implemented a tool called Activation Lock, which can render an iPhone without using the owner’s Apple ID or a password. It is available on iOS devices running iOS 7 or later, and is closely linked with the Find My iPhone app. Thus, once you have turned on the Find My iPhone option, the Activation Lock is also on. Usually, the Find My iPhone feature works on a device silently, but please make sure that it’s switched on before you lose your iPhone.
Below are several steps that you can follow:
- Open the Settings on your home screen;
- Tap on your profile picture;
- Click on the iCloud option;
- Select the Find My iPhone;
- Make sure that the Find My iPhone is in green.
2. Enable the Find My Network
In addition, to take advantage of the Find My iPhone function, the Find My Network can also do you a great favor. For this method to work, you need to enable the Find My Network as well. By using it, Apple allows you to locate your misplaced devices within 24 hours, even if the phone is turned off or offline. Kindly note that Find My Network is only enabled on the iOS 15 system or the later version.
Follow the steps to enable:
- Head to the Settings on your home screen;
- Tap on your profile picture;
- Click on the Find My option;
- Check the Find My iPhone and turn it on;
- Click on the Find My Network and toggle it on.
3. Find an iPhone Using Another Device
In case you own another Apple mobile device such as an iPad, you can make full use of the Find My app to locate your lost iPhone. Or use the location sharing feature inside to find your iPhone with another family member’s device.
Take a closer look at how to use it on an iPad:
- Open the Find My app;
- Tap on the Devices in the small box on the bottom;
- Pick the lost device from a list of devices;
- See the exact location;
- Use additional features to play sound, get directions, and mark as lost.
4. Find an iPhone Using iCould.com
If you don’t have another App device in hand, you can always opt for using the Find My on iCould.com.
How to use iCloud to find an iPhone:
- Navigate to iCould.com on the computer website;
- Sign in with your Apple ID and password as well;
- Click on the “Find iPhone” from the app options;
- Find your iPhone from the list on the Find My screen;
- See your iPhone in the form of a map;
- Play a sound, mark it as lost, or erase the device are available options.
5. Find an iPhone Using MLocator
MLocator helps to track your family or friend’s location and find your lost iPhone as well. However, what makes MLocator different from other location tracking tools is: It allows you to locate or track a lost cell phone via only a mobile number. By the way, it’s well compatible with both Android and iOS devices.
To use MLocator, you must do the following steps:
- Create a new account on their website;
- Input in the mobile number you want to locate;
- Pick out the plan that suits your needs and make the payment;
- Enter your phone number to receive the location data;
- Get the location info via SMS message within minutes.
6. Contact the Police and Carrier
If none of the above-mentioned methods work for you, you can turn to the police and phone provider for help. In case your iPhone has been stolen, the Find My iPhone can assist law enforcement to determine its current location. Also, the phone carriers have tools for reporting a lost device to suspend service in some emergencies and block the missed phone from being used under the carrier’s network.
Be Ready to Find Your Lost or Stolen iPhone
Location tracking apps like Find My iPhone and Find My by Apple Store on iOS devices only works if you have turned on the location service and logged in with your Apple ID. Before you lose your iPhone, keep in mind that you have enabled these services on your phone as a precautionary measure.
As always, do let us know in the comment section below if you have better ideas on how to find a lost iPhone or have further inquiries about this article. We are happy to hear from your different voice!